Monday, September 27, 2010

Announcement


Well, everyone the time has come. A few weeks ago, my principal offered me an opportunity I just couldn’t refuse. I am officially a gifted teacher at my school. I have been wanting this for so long that it’s almost unreal. Ever since I was working on my Master’s degree under Dr. Frances Karnes, I knew an enrichment setting was where I belonged.

The first four courses I will teach are: All Things Money, Entrepreneurship, Folktales around the World, and Leadership. These enrichment courses are designed to cultivate self-efficacy and global connections. My goal is to create the kinds of learning experiences that expose my students to an array of ideas, themes, and concepts, as well as develop a rudimentary expertise in the subject area. Whether we are exploring world cultures through folk tales and Skype sessions with classrooms around the globe or writing marketing plans for our Entrepreneurship unit, the objective is to integrate literacy and technology into each lesson.

I have been blessed and have enjoyed teaching Spanish these past few years. I will miss my students, especially the little ones in Kindergarten to 1st grade. It almost broke my heart to see them in the hallway when they asked where I was today. As of now, the reality hasn’t set in for them or for me. Though it is sad to leave Spanish, I am ready to move on to the next chapter in my career. I invite you on this journey with me to follow what I am doing in the gifted classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new position! I'm going to miss your posts regarding Spanish. I especially enjoyed these last couple of ones about classroom management. Will you continue to post about keeping order in the classroom? This is my first year teaching, and setting rules and boundaries for my students has been the most challenging part. I hope you continue blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,

    Thank you for your kind words! I will continue to blog about Spanish because I will be teaching Spanish in a Saturday enrichment program. Though the bulk of what I write will be about my new journey in gifted, I will write about all aspects of teaching including classroom management, curriculum, and technology integration. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

    Thanks for your support,

    Elvira

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Enhorabuena, Elvira! So sorry I didn't read this post yesterday. I am so happy for you and hope you will find this journey exciting and enriching for you. All the best in your new journey and looking forward to reading your reflections as you begin a new chapter in your career. Saludos!

    ReplyDelete